Vital Vinyl Series 180g Vinyl LP Reissue!
Verve and Impulse! Records launch the new Vital Vinyl series with UMe, celebrating essential jazz LPs from the enduring catalogues of the two iconic labels. Throughout 2019, Verve and Impulse! will be making no fewer than 40 key albums from the 1950s, '60s and '70s available again on 180-gram vinyl. Each will feature their original cover artwork, track listings and liner notes. Some of these albums will become available for the first time in years, while others that are already in print will now be perennially available.
The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady is without question Charles Mingus's magnum opus. Originally released on Impulse! in 1963, the album broke new ground in both genre-defying composition and innovative recording techniques. A six-part suite with dramatic shifts in mood and tempo, The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady features the three-way brass dialogue of trumpets, trombone and tuba, swooping reeds and awe-inspiring rhythm section. Balancing delicate Spanish modes and Ellingtonian themes, the ensemble breaks into a divine cacophony of group improvisation on par with free jazz giants Ornette Coleman or Cecil Taylor.
- Solo Dancer (Stop! Look! And Listen, Sinner Jim Whitney!)
- Duet Solo Dancers (Hearts' Beat And Shades In Physical Embraces)
- Group Dancers - (Soul Fusion) Freewoman And Oh, This Freedom's Slave Cries
- Trio And Group Dancers (Stop! Look! And Sing Songs Of Revolutions!)
- Single Solos And Group Dance (Saint And Sinner Join In Merriment On Battle Front)
- Group And Solo Dance (Of Love, Pain, And Passioned Revolt, Then Farewell, My Beloved, 'Til It's Freedom Day)