Throughout his career, Herbie Hancock has always pushed musical boundaries, exploring a wide variety of jazz idioms while bringing his flair and innovation to every single setting. His Blue Note albums of the 1960’s ranged all the way from post bop to Latin jazz, to straight ahead and free form.
Empyrean Isles, recorded when Hancock was 24 and a new member of the Miles Davis Quintet, features the pianist pushing the envelope of hard bop, creating fresh, new music in the process. In a quartet setting with Freddie Hubbard, Ron Carter and Tony Williams, Hancock shows that he was familiar with both avant-garde jazz and groovin' R&B.
His four compositions include the original and most exciting version of “Cantaloupe Island” and the swingingly unpredictable “One Finger Snap.” Empyrean Isles brims with the power and adventure of the best of '60s jazz while gracefully crossing over into uncharted territory in signature Hancock fashion.
Herbie Hancock (piano)
Freddie Hubbard (cornet)
Ron Carter (bass)
Anthony Williams (drums)
• Remastered and reissued as part of the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign
• Vinyl initiative spearheaded by current Blue Note Records President, Don Was, to include 100 essential Blue Note albums
• Includes special Blue Note 75 vinyl sleeve that features album cover art for 75 Blue Note titles
• First run of vinyl to include Blue Note 75th logo on back of package
• Key to the Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl reissue campaign is the creation of high quality audio at an affordable price
• Blue Note will celebrate their iconic artists and the history of the label with various events, digital initiatives, vinyl campaigns and more
Herbie Hancock Empyrean Isles Track Listing:
1. One Finger Snap
2. Oliloqui Valley
3. Cantaloupe Island
4. The Egg
5. One Finger Snap
6. Oliloqui Valley